Our holiday in Hongkong and Manila: Comparing the two cities and much more.

We went for a holiday last December 2015 in the Philippines.  Before landing in Manila, we spent 2 days in Hongkong.  We stayed in a hotel right at the heart of Mongkok, the world's busiest city, they say.  I remembered when we are going to leave the airport for a ride there,  my mind is worried about where to go.  I asked the information and the woman, in a very polite and smiling face, told me that it will cost me about 250 Hongkong USD to ride a taxi.  She recommended going for a taxi since we have many things than going on a bus or the railway.  So we excitedly went forward.  The atmosphere was joyous since it is indeed the Christmas season.  Then we stopped and saw a long queue of taxis.  All passengers going out where carefully lodged on to them.  About 2 persons were helping us directly to a taxi waiting and they have already informed the driver where we are going. I believe they were also with the airport personnel or tourism department.  Anyway, as soon as we arrived in Mongkok, I paid the taxi driver with the exact amount from the meter.  The driver accepted it politely with no questions and comments.  I paid about 275 Hongkong USD, which did not go far from the information given to us.  So we went up the hotel, slept there and in the morning roaming around the heart of Hongkong.  The city was clean, with very less or no heavy traffic visible.  The two-layered bus was so efficient and they stopped exactly at the right place.  We continued walking until we, my wife and two children were tired walking and stopped at a restaurant.  I won't forget the noodles there and the Peking duck which is the best.
The next following day, we went back to the airport for a trip to Manila.  I and my wife were excited to go home.  I have never been back for nine years and my wife for twelve years.  Incredible. That's why this trip to the Philippines will be memorable. We saw the airport and we are thrilled to land right away. 
The thrills sadly were changed to mixed emotions.  Maybe indifference.  The first thing I noticed was we were told to line in different queues, one for males and one for females.  I thought that that is new.  But I honestly did not see any efficiency.  The waiting becomes more stressful as the lines move very slow.  Going out of the airport we were confronted by a long line of people waiting for their turn for a taxi ride.  There were also 3 options.  There is a special taxi where you pay 1, 700 pesos for a ride which, still you need to wait.  The second, for you to wait for the airport taxi where the long line is.  The third, to go out of the airport and look for an ordinary taxi.  I wonder why there were three when in Hongkong there is only one and all metered taxi and can go anywhere.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog